- Ties up with Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC), Ola and Embassy GolfLinks to promote organ donation
- Target to inspire at least 5,000 to pledge for organ donation
Bangalore, October 04, 2017: Fortis Hospitals, Bangalore has taken the initiative to promote organ donation during Daan Utsav, India’s very own festival of giving. The week-long celebration, ‘Daan’ starting 2nd – 8th October 2017, is aimed at helping people understand the need for organ donation and pledge for the same. Fortis Hospitals in association with Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC), Ola and Embassy GolfLinks will reach out to Fifty Thousand people to promote the cause and aimed at collecting around 5000 pledges in the week-long activities.
1. Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL): Fortis Hospitals has set booth at five IOCL stations and will be educating and distributing forms to people to pledge their organs.
2. Ola: The representatives from the hospital will be present at three Ola offices for the drive.
3. Embassy GolfLinks: The hospital has set up stall at the Food Court to be able to connect with maximum people working in the Business Park.
4. Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC): The BMTC bus would be carrying the posters and banners with the message and moving around the city for three days (Oct 4-6).
As per an independent research report, there is a poor Organ Donation Rate – 0.26 per million in India. With a 1 per million-donation rate, India would have 1,100 organ donors or 2,200 kidneys, 1,000 hearts, 1,100 Livers, 1,100 Pancreas and 2,200 Eyes. This should take care of almost all current demands for organs. There is a need of roughly 200,000 kidneys, 50,000 hearts and 50,000 livers for transplantation each year. There is a lack of awareness among people with regards to deceased organ donation, the concept of brain death and the process of organ transplantation.
On this occasion, Dr Manish Mattoo, Zonal Director, Fortis Hospitals, Bangalore said, “Daan Utsav spread love, joy, and happiness among those who are lesser fortunate than us. In line with the philosophy of this festival, Fortis Hospitals is taking the step forward to educate people on donating organs that could save lives of many. We believe that apart from giving best clinical care, we should also take initiative in educating people on much need socio-health cause through community connect. We have partnered with various government and private organizations to help us in our approach. It’s the time to join hands and come forward to do the maximum to promote the cause. Anyone who is seeking information on organ donation can visit Fortis’ website or any of the stalls being set up in the city.”
Fortis Hospital has been taking several steps in educating the community on various public causes like cleanliness, planting trees, road safety, and organ donation.