(This article has been contributed by Ms. Kanchan Naikawadi, Preventive Healthcare Expert, Indus Health Plus)
Diwali, the beautiful festival of lights, joy, sweets,and celebration is just around the corner. Irrespective of age, anyone from six-year-old to sixty-year-old enjoys burning crackers and having their favorite sweets on the day of Diwali.
However, to ensure that celebration stays healthy and safe. Read through for some essential tips to enjoy Diwali in safely and healthy manner.
- Keep the First Aid Kit handy: A first aid kit should be handy while everyone is enjoying the fireworks. In case if there is a minor injury or burn, it can be treated immediately at home.
- Hydration is must: The intake of unhealthy snacks and sweets makes the body mount up toxins. It is essential to flush these toxins out by drinking the sufficient amount of water at regular intervals.
- Low-Calorie Sweets: It is advisable to go for low-calorie sweets to maintain the body weight and health. Besides, diabetic patients should take extra precaution.
- Walk & Shop: Avoid using vehicles for the places which are at a walk-able distance, use stairs and indulge in physical activities. This way you will be able to burn some calories and maintain the body fitness.
- Avoid wearing contact lens: It is advisable to avoid wearing contact lenses as it may cause irritation to the eyes if exposed to high heat for a long time.
- Protect your ear: The loud noise of fireworks is harmful to the eardrums which may also result in increased heart rate in senior citizens and those with heart ailments. It is advisable to wear earplugs to protect ear from high decibel sounds
- Instruct children about safety: Before taking out the children in open to burn crackers, it is highly important to instruct them about the usage of firecrackers with safety. Supervising them while they are having a fun time with crackers is of utmost importance.
- Keep anti-pollution masks:Patients suffering from chronic lung diseases, asthma or COPD should avoid being around the places with heavy cracker pollution. Such patients are recommended to use masks particularly while going out as they could suffer from breathing issues due to the smoke.
- Sensitivity: It is essential to have a festival celebration with utmost care and sensitivity. Burning firecrackers not only create noise pollution but also, pollutes the air which can be harmful to everyone, especially infant and senior citizens. It is advisable to burn low flame crackers at open places.